Saturday, November 6, 2010

Saving at the grocery store

When I moved back to the country and 20 minutes from the closest food store, I wanted to think about all the ways I could save money and help the environment more. The first thing I changed was I started shopping every two weeks and the savings started right away.  The following are other tips that help.  Remember if you do a little or a lot it all helps your pocket, your time and the environment.
You can cut your food bills by half or more by taking these simple steps.
  1. Try cooking at home, from scratch when possible, if only a couple of times a week helps.
  2.  Make big batches and use leftovers.  Try making a different meal with the leftovers.
  3. Take your own lunches and snacks to work or school four days a week. Remember to make it fun.
  4. Learn what is in season and buy produce that is in season and locally plentiful.
  5. If possible buy cooperatively, in bulk or directly from producers.
  6. At grocery stores, shop the sales and use coupons.
  7.  Build your diet primarily around plants and whole grains, eating meat more sparingly and choosing less expensive cuts when you do.

I was at the store today and the lady in front of me saved over $100.00 using coupons from the paper and going online to find some.  I asked her how she does it as I have heard about it but never seen it in action.  She said it takes an about an hour to get ready.  She also said $50.00 in savings is not bad for an hours work.  She is so right.  Something to think about and try, we all say food is getting more expensive but if we try some of what is above…….



No comments:

Post a Comment